GRANITA IS A FROZEN ITALIAN DESSERT WITH DIFFERENT FLAVOURS OF FRUITS .HERE I 'VE USED WATERMELON AND LIME.
1 wedge of watermelon(about 5 pounds)
3/4 cup sugar
3/4 cup water
4 tblsp lime juice
- Remove the rind of watermelon and cut into cubes
- Place the cubes in a food processor and puree until smooth
- Transfer the pureed watermelon to a seive placed over a large bowl
- Set the watermelon liquid aside,discard the pulp
- In a pan combine sugar and water,bring to a simmer or until sugar dissolves,1-2 minutes
- Allow it to cool
- Combine sugar mixture and watermelon liquid in a tray and keep in the freezer
- Every 30 minutes using a fork stir the granita,scraping it off the bottom and sides of the pan
- Brake up the frozen parts near the edges into smaller chunks andbring them towards center
- Continue to freeze and break up ice crystals untilcmpletely frozen about 3 hrs
- If at any time granita freezes too hard simply leave it out at room temperature for few minutes untilit softens enough to be stirred again with a fork ,then return it to the freezer.
- To serve it,scrape across the top of the frozen mixture witha large spoon
- For finishing touch top it with cookies,berries, lemon zest.
- Here I've topped it with vanilla ice cream