Kerala Prawn Roast
20 big sized prawns
3 tblsp coconut oil / any other refined oil
3 thinly sliced onions
1 tsp mustard
2 sprig of curry leaves
2 grated tomatoes
1 tsp ginger garlic paste
1/2 tsp turmeric/ haldi powder
1 tsp garam masala powder
2 slit green chillies
1 tsp coriander powder
1/2 tsp cumin powder
3 tblsp ground chilli masala paste
Salt to taste
1/2 tsp sugar
Chopped coriander leaves
FOR THE MASALA PASTE:
8 byadgi red chillies
1/2 tsp coriander seeds/daniya seeds
1/4 tsp jeera/ cumin seeds
4 pepper corns
3 garlic cloves
Deseed the red chillies,soak in water for 10 mins and grind with other ingredients into a smooth paste.
- Clean and devein the prawns. Add little salt and turmeric powder and keep aside.
- Heat oil in a pan, add mustard and let it splutter.
- Add curry leaves, sliced onions and little salt. Saute until they turn transparent.
- Add ginger garlic paste and slit green chillies. Continue to saute until onions turn golden, takes about ten mins.
- Add all the spice powders and saute for couple of seconds. Sprinkle little water to avoid masala powders from getting burnt.
- Next add grated tomatoes and little salt, cook for 5-6 mins or until they turn mushy.
- Add the ground chilli masala paste, fry well for 5 mins or till oil leaves the masala
- Add 1/2 cup water, sugar and salt if required and taste- check for salt.
- Now drop in the prawns and mix them carefully with the masala.
- Cover with a lid and cook over low flame, till it becomes little dry.
- If you want some gravy add little water and cook.
- Turn off the flame and garnish with chopped coriander leaves.
- Serve hot with ghee rice, appams, idiyappams,parathas or dosas.