1 cup Besan / Gram flour
2 tblsp roasted crushed peanuts
Pinch of hing / asafoetida
1/2 tsp turmeric / haldi powder
1/ 2 inch ginger grated
3-4 green chillies chopped
1 tsp lemon juice
Salt as per taste
1 cup and 2 tblsp water
1 cup chopped coriander leaves/ dhaniya patta
1 tsp garam masala (I added Kolhapur kanda lahsun masala)
2 tsp white sesame seeds/ safed til
Oil for deep frying
Green chutney to serve
FOR THE TEMPERING:
3 tsp oil
1 tsp mustard
- Take a bowl and put besan,salt,roasted crushed peanuts,turmeric, hing powder,chopped green chillies, ginger and mix well
- Add lemon juice. Add water little by little and keep stirring to avoid having lumps.
- Now add the chopped coriander leaves, garam masala powder and give a nice mix.
Please check the above video for the consistency of the batter.
- Heat a pan, put 3 tsp oil, add mustard and let it crackle.
- Once it is crackled add the batter and cook on a low flame
- Keep stirring to avoid lumps and cook. This takes around 5-10 miutes
- Once it becomes thick like barfi consistency, turn off the flame
- Pour it in a greased tray and and flatten it by making thick layer with the help of a laddle
- Sprinkle roasted sesame seeds on it and press with your fingers.
- Rest it for 10 minutes and then cut into square pieces
- Heat oil in a pan and deep fry the cooked besan squares on a medium flame.
- Fry till it turns crisp and golden brown
- Remove the fried vadis on an absorbant paper.
- Serve hot with ketchup or green chutney.