Doddapathre / Ajwain leaf Tambuli
Tambuli is a cold yogurt based curry made by grinding a herb, spice or vegetable with coconut and handful of spices. Doddapathre is called Ajwain leaf in Hindi, big thyme in English and Owa in Marathi. this leaf has a very distinct smell and flavour and has many medicinal values. this tambli tastes awesome with steamed rice in hot summer days.
8-10 fresh doddaopathre / ajwain leaves
1/4 cup fresh coconut gratings
6-8 pepper corns
1 tsp jeera / cumin seeds
1 tsp oil
1/2 cup fresh curd
Salt to taste
FOR THE TEMPERING:
1 tsp oil
1 tsp mustard
1/2 tsp jeera
1/2 tsp urad dal
1 red chilli cut into bits
- Wash the ajwain leaves thoroughly and wipe with a kitchen towel
- Chop them roughly and fry in one tsp oil till the colour of the leaves changes
- Remove it in a plate and fry jeera and pepper in the same pan till it turns aromatic and brown in colour
- Grind coconut gratings with the roasted leaves, jeera, pepper corns, salt adding little water, into a smooth paste
- Transfer the ground paste in a bowl, add the curds and mix well
- Give tadka with the ingredients mentioned.
- Serve chilled tambuli with steamed rice and enjoy!!