Maralva Phodi/Tree taro leaves fritters
MARALVA PAAN means Tree taro / Tree colocasia leaves.There are 4-5 varieties of colocasia leaves and these are one of them. Phodi means fritters in Konkani language. These leaves are available only in the rainy season for a monthor so in the western ghats. These phodis / fritters can be either shallow fried or deep fried. These are deep fried fritters and tastes heavenly with hot rice and dal.
1 cup dosa rice
1/2 cup urad dal / Skinless black gram dal
6-8 dry red chillies
Chickpea size tamarind
Peanut size hing/ asafoetida
Salt to taste
10-15 taro leaves
Oil for deep frying
3 tblsp rice flour
1 tblsp fine rava (optional) for dusting
- Chop thick stem and veins of the leaves ,wash properly and keep aside to drain the water.
- Soak rice for 0ne hour in water. Dry roast urad dal till light brown and nice aroma comes.
- Make fine powder of roasted urad dal and keep aside
- Wash soaked rice 2-3 times,drain all the water and grind with red chillies,salt,hing and tamarind, into a fine and thick paste using little water
- Remove the batter in a bowl, add roasted dal powder to the ground rice batter and mix well
- Place one big leaf on the kitchen platform or any flat surface, with the reverse side of the leaf facing up right.
- Put another leaf on it and repeat the same procedure . Like this keep 6-8 leaves ,apply masala.
- Fold both the sides and apply masala, fold the lower edge and strt rolling tightly.Since dal powder is sticky it will stick on its own. Roll it like tube.
- Keep the roll in the freezer for 15 mns, this will help to cut the roll easily.
- After 15 mins cut the roll into 1/2 inch thick roundels
- Mix rice flour and rava on a plate, dust each fritter / roundels with the rice flour mixture and keep
- Heat oil and deep fry fritters in batches on a medium flame till it turns dark brown and crisp.
- Serve hot fritters with hot rice and dal or enjoy with hor coffee when it is raining outside.
- You can store these rolls in the freezer for 3-4 months.
- You can also prepare this with rice flour in place of soaking and grinding rice.Use rice flour,dal powder,chilli powder and the other ingredients,add water and make a paste and use.
- You can use the same procedure for any other colocasia leaves or pumpkin leaves fritters.