Seemebadane Sippe Chutney / Chow Chow skin chutney
1 cup seemebadane kaayi sippe / skin of chow chow
1/2 cup coconut gratings
3 green chillies
3 tsp chana dal / Bengal gram dal
2 tsp urad dal
1 tsp cumin seeds / jeera
2 tsp chopped coriander leaves
Chickpea size tamarind
Salt to taste
1 tsp oil
FOR THE TEMPERING:
2 tsp oil
1 tsp mustard
1 tsp urad dal
1 sprig of curry leaves
1 red chilli cut into bits
- Wash the skin of chow chow, chop it finely. Heat one teaspoon oil and roast chana dal, urad dal, jeera and green chillies till they turn golden brown.
- Remove it in a bowl. In the same pan put chopped chow chow skin and roasy it till they changes the collour.
- Add coconut gratings and coriander leaves and saute for 5 mins
- Let it cool. Grind all the roasted ingredients with tamarind and salt, adding little water
- Put the ground chutney in a bowl and add tadka using the ingredients mentioned above
- Serve with rice and dal
- You can also have this with dosa, idli or appam.
- In place of chow chow skin you can use ridgegourd skin.