Tarkari Kootu / Mixed vegetable curry
KOOTU is a lentil and vegetable stew prepared in South India like Karnataka, Kerala and Tamilnadu. This kootu is a speciality of Karnataka brahmins. This is a semi solid curry with mixed veggies, lentil and coconut , which is less watery than sambar. You can have this as an accompaniment with hot rice.
1 cup toor dal
1/4 cup moong dal
3 cups cooked veggies like beans,carrot,pumpkin,ashgourd, chayote squash
1/4 cup cokked peanuts (optional)
1 chopped tomato
Salt to taste
Chopped coriander leaves
For the masala paste:
1 tsp oil
1 tsp chana dal
2 tblsp urad dal
1 tsp moong dal
3 tblsp coriander seeds
1 tblsp pepper corns
1 tblsp cumin seeds
6 byadgi red chillies
Roast these in one tsp oil on a medium flame, till you get nice aroma and it becomes light brown in colour.
Grind the roasted ingredients with 1/2 tsp turmeric powder and 1 cup coconut gratings, keep aside.
FOR THE TEMPERING:
3 tsp oil
1 tsp mustard
1/2 tsp hing / asafoetida
2 sprigs of curry leaves
1 red chilli
- Wash the lentils, cook in cooker with 1.5 cups water and chopped tomato for 2-3 whistles
- Transfer cooked dal in a vessel, add cooked veggies, salt and ground masala paste
- Add water to adjust the consistency of the gravy according to your taste
- Let it boil for 10 minutes. Turn off the flame, garnish with chopped coriander leaves
- Add the tempering with the ingredients mentioned
- Serve hot with hot rice and papad.