Ghasmando / Mandige
Ghasmando is a festive favourite int he GSB community. It is a crispy deep-fried poori, folded into a triangle and stuffed with the mixture of roasted, powdered poha/ beaten rice, powdered sugar and white sesame seeds.
for the poori
1 cup maida/ all-purpose flour
2 tbsp fine Rava
2 tsp ghee
Pinch of salt
Water to knead the dough
For the stuffing:
1 cup paper avalakki/ thin poha / beaten rice
2 tblsp dry roasted black sesame seeds/ kaala til
3/4 cup sugar
1 tsp ghee
1 tsp cardamom powder
- Put all the ingredients in a bowl. Adding water knead it to form a stiff dough
- Cover the dough and let it rest for 30 minutes
- Now let us prepare the stuffing. Heat one teaspoon ghee in a pan ,add poha and roast till it becomes crispy
- Grind the roasted poha with sugar, make a fine powder
- Add roasted sesame seeds and cardamom powder to it and your stuffing is ready
- Devide the dough into portions and make small gooseberry size balls
- Roll it into thin pooris. Heat oil and deep fry pooris.
- While frying pooris ,with the help of two laddles fold it into half and then again fold it and shape it into a triangle poori
- Stuff the triangle pooris with the prepared sugar poha mixture (around 2 tblsp)
- And your mando is ready to eat.
- Store in an airtight container once it comes to room temperature.
- If you can not fold it in the oil, fry it and remove it from oil
- Spread the stuffing on the poori and immediately fold it into a triangle.This process should be done very fast as the poori turns crisp and there are chances of btreaking and you can not fold it into a triangle.