Tomato Thokku (Andhra style)
6 tomatoes chopped
3 tblsp oil
2 tsp jaggery
Gooseberry size tamarind
1 tsp cumin seeds/ jeera
1 tsp mustard seeds/ rai
1 tsp fenugreek seeds / methi
1/2 tsp turmeric powder / haldi
1 tblsp Kashmiri red chilli powder
1 tblsp salt
FOR THE TEMPERING / TADKA:
4 tblsp oil
3/4 tsp mustard
1/4 tsp hing/ asafoetida powder
Few curry leaves
2 red chillies
10 garlic cloves peeled and sliced
- Dry roast mustard, methi and jeera. Make a fine powder.Add salt,red chilli powder and turmeric powder to it and keep aside.
- Heat 3 tblsp oil in a pan, saute chopped tomatoes, tamarind, jaggery ,and mix well.
- Cover and cook for 15 minutes or till the tomatoes turn mushy.
- Mash the tomatoes slightly making sure they are cooked completely. Let it cooldown and grind into a paste.
- Add all the spices and mix well, making sure that all the ingredients are combined well.
- In a heavy bottomed pan heat 4 tblsp oil for tempering
- Add mustard seeds.hing, red chilli bits and few curry leaves.Allow to splutter, add chopped garlic cloves and fry till they turn golden brown in colour
- Immediately add the tomato paste and cook till oil separates
- And your thokku is ready to serve . Let it cool completely.
- Store in an airtight jar and refrigerate it .
- Serve with dosa, idli, chapati or hot steamed rice.