Davangere Benne Dosa
3 cups dosa rice
1 cup urad dal
1 cup beaten rice/ Poha/ Avalakki
1/2 cup Sabudana/ tapioca pearls
2 tsp methi/ fenugreek seeds
Salt to taste
1/4 tsp baking soda
Pinch of sugar
Butter for cooking dosa
- Take dosa rice in a bowl, add water, and rinse well. Soak in enough water for 5-6 hrs.
- Take urad dal, methi, and Sabudana in a bowl, add water and rinse 3-4 times. Soak in enough water for 5-6 hrs
- Wash Poha just before grinding and soak in water for 10 minutes
- Grind all the soaked ingredients and make a smooth batter
- Let it ferment for 7-8 hours
- Next day morning before making dosa add salt, baking soda, sugar mix well.
- The consistency of the batter should be like normal dosa batter
- Heat Tawa, take a ladle of the batter and pour on Tawa, gently spread to a slightly thick dosa
- Put 2-3 tsp butter on dosa and cook on a medium flame
- You will see a lot of tiny holes in the dosa
- Cook on a medium flame till the top has cooked and the bottom has become brown and crisp
- Serve hot dosa with chutney and potato bhaji.
- If you want you can flip the dosa and cook both sides.