Biscuit ambado is the Konkaniname for Uddina vada/ Urad dal vada or Black gram fritters!!In Dakshin Kannada these vadas are very popular tea time snacks..This is served with coconut chutney or sambar..The only difference between uddina vada and biscuit ambado is its shape, ingredients and method of preparation is same for both !! These are very crisp from outside and soft inside!! To get the good texture you have to grind it in the grinder only...
1 cup urad dal/ split black gram
2-3 finely chopped green chillies
2 sprigs of curry leaves chopped
1 inch ginger chopped
Generous pinch of hing/ asafoetida
3 tblsp finely chopped coconut pieces
Salt to taste
Oil for deep frying
- Soak dal in water for 2 hours,wash and drain all the water
- Grind the dal in the mixer or grinder using minimum water ,into a fine and thick paste
- If you add more waterand batter is runny then it will absorb much oil
- Transfer the batter in a bowl,add all the other ingredients and mix well
- Heat oil and once it is hot lower it to medium flame
- Dip your hands in water and take lemon size amount of batter using your fingers and drop them in oil
- Fry them into crisp vadas and serve with chutney or sambar !!