Special thanks to Kudpi Raj's Garam Tava Blog for this wonderful ,lipsmacking instant sweet raw mango pickle.Tastes wonderful with rice. Very simple and easy recipe with minimum ingredients.
1 big raw mango
2 tsp red chilli powder
1/2 cup powdered jaggery
1/2 tsp turmeric powder
Salt to taste
To dry roast and grind:
1 tsp fenugreek / methi seeds
5 byadgi red chillies
1.5 tblsp oil
1 tsp mustard
1/2 tsp hing/ asafoetida
- Wash and de-seed raw mango,cut into bite sized pieces ,keep in a bowl.
- In a pan dry roast methi seeds and red chillies till they turn golden brown
- Grind it into a semi coarse powder , keep aside
- In a pan heat oil add mustard seeds let them splutter
- Add hing powder, turmeric powder, chilli powder,and roasted chilli pwoder
- Give a quick mix and turn off the flame
- Transfer this to chopped raw mango pieces ,add salt and mix well and leave that to rest
- Meanwhile prepare jaggery syrup
- Take jaggery and 1/4 cup water in a kadai and heat it up until it nicely bubbles and is thick like honey in consistency
- Strain to remove any impurities
- Now to the thick jaggery syrup add the marinated raw mango pieces and heat it up until it is nicely coated
- Switch it off immediately
- The mangoes get cooked easily so dont heat up for more time, just mix and switch off .
The pickle stays well for two days in room temperature and many days if refrigerated
If more oil floats on top(as for any pickle) it increases the shelf life
Always use clean spoon every time
Grinding methi seeds and red chillies to a coarse powder gives the pickle a nice crunchy taste
This is an instant pickle so you need not wait till soaking time
Just make it and serve it
The mangoes get half cooked in jaggery syrup and get soft
Adjust the spice and sweetness according to your taste.