This is a very popular snack in Karnataka.Crispy hot urad dal vadas dunked in lentil soup and served hot.Tastes heavenly especially in rainy seasons.
INGREDIENTS FOR VADA:
1 cup urad dal
1 inch ginger piece
3 chopped green chillies
some chopped curry leaves
Salt to taste
1/2 tsp hing/ asafoetida
- Soak urad dal in water for 2 hrs
- Wash and grind dal with very little water in the grinder for half an hour to get fluffy consistency
- Transfer the batter in a bowl, add chopped chillies,curry leaves, hing and salt and mix well
- Heat oil, once the oil is hot start dropping vadas by wetting your handsand taking small portions of the batter
- the vadas till nice golden brown colour. Put the fried vadas on a tissue paper
- Vadas are ready to serve
INGREDIENTS FOR SOUP:
1 cup moong dal pressure cooked with little turmeric powder and 1 tsp oil
2 tsp oil
1 tsp mustard
1 tsp jeera/ cumin seeds
2 inches ginger cut into thin juliens
1 tsp crushed black pepper
3 cups water
Salt to taste
1 tsp lemon juice
Chopped coriander leaves
1 tblsp grated coconut
- Wash and soak moong dal . Pressure cook with little oil ,turmeric pdr and 3 cups water
- Heat oil in a pan add mustard, jeera,ginger and green chillies, crushed black pepper
- Fry for a second and add boiled dal and water to get consistency of soup or rasam.
- Mix well and bring it to boil.
- Add salt,lemon juice,chopped coriander leaves and grated coconut
- Turn off the flame and serve with vadas
- To serve ,in a serving bowl keep 3-4 vadas and pour the required amount of soup and enjoy.