Kaarate Ambade Ghashi / Bittergourd Hog plum curry
Bitter gourd is called KAARATE and hog plums are called AMBADO in Konkani. This curry is a Konkani delicacy, which is spicy, tangy sweet, all in one bite. Bittergourd and hog plums are a very great combo because they compliment each other's taste . When they are paired with some jaggery in a coconut gravy they make a delicious curry.
- Cut bittergourd into i inch pieces, wash well and apply 2 tsp salt. keep aside for one hour
- After one hour, wash again, squeeze out all the water from it.
- Peel ridge gourd and cut into chunks
- Cut yard long beans into one inch pieces
- Smash hog plum well using a pestle so that the gravy gets infused into it and it's tanginess gets into the curry.
- Put all the veggies, slit green chilli and hog plums with 1/2 cup water , in the cooker and cook for 2 whistles
- Once the steam of the cooker is released, open it and transfer the boiled veggies in a vessel
- Add salt and jaggery to it and cook for 5 mins
- Add the masala paste , mix well and add water if needed, adjust the consistency . (semi thick )
- Let it boil for 10 mins, turn off the flame.
- Temper with the mentioned ingredients and serve with hot rice and dal.