Hagalkaayi Gojju / Bittergourd Gojju
1 hagalkaayi / bittergourd / karela
5 tsp oil
Salt to taste
Jaggery to tatse
FOR THE MASALA:
1 tsp oil
2 tsp chana dal
2 tsp urad dal
3 tsp white sesame seeds / til
4 byadgi / kashmiri red chillies
Chickpea size tamarind
3 tblsp dry coconut grated
3 tbsp fresh coconut gratings
In a pan heat oil and roast chana dal, urad dal and sesame seeds till it turns golden brown in colour
remove it on a plate, put red chillies, dry copra and fresh coconut gratings in the same pan and fry till it turns light brown
Once it comes to room temperature, grind it with tamarind into a smooth paste, keep it aside
FOR THE TEMPERING:
3 tsp oil
2 tsp mustard
1 sprig of curry leaves
Pinch of hing / asafoetida powder
2-3 methi / fenugreek seeds
- Wash bittergourd ,slit into four lenghtwise and cut into thin slices
- Apply 2 tsp salt and keep aside for 30 mins. Wash it again 2 times , squeeze all thewater from it
- Heat oil in a pan and put the karela slices and shallow fry it, until it is fried and cooked.
- You can also deep fry it.
- Heat 3 tsp oil in a pan , add mustard . Once it crackles add methi, hing and curry leaves.
- Put the ground masala paste and little water to adjust the consistency
- Add salt and jaggery to aste
- Let it boil for 5 mins, add the fried bittergourd slices and give one boil, turn off the flame
- Serve with rice and dal.