Punjabi Samosa Baked and Fried
INGREDIENTS FOR THE OUTER COVER:
1 cup maida/ all-purpose flour
1/2 tsp salt
2 tbsp ghee
1/2 tsp ajwain/carom seeds
Water to knead the dough
- In a mixing bowl, put flour, ajwain, salt, mix well and add ghee
- Mix everything very well. Rub the flour in between your palms to incorporate the ghee well for 3-4 minutes.
- After this step, the flour should resemble bread crumbs
- Press down a handful of this flour in your palm, it should form or hold the shape.
- It should not crumble, which means ghee is well incorporated.
- Add chilled water, little by little, and begin to form a dough ball.
- The dough has to be firm, stiff, and not sticky.
- Cover and rest for 30 minutes
INGREDIENTS FOR THE STUFFING:
3 medium sized boiled, mashed potatoes
1/2 cup boiled green peas
1 onion finely chopped
1/2 tsp turmeric powder
1/2 tsp red chili powder
2 green chilies and 1/2 inch ginger grated
1/2 tsp garam masala powder
Make a spice mix of - Dry roasted 1 tblsp coriander seeds, 1 tblsp fennel seeds/saunf, and 1/2 tblsp cumin seeds/ jeera
4 tsp oil
Salt to taste
Chopped coriander leaves
Oil for brushing and frying the samosas
- Heat oil in a pan, saute for 5 minutes, add grated ginger and green chilies first
- Put the prepared spice mixture, turmeric powder,garam masala powder, red chilli powder, and saute for a minute.
- Now add the boiled potato and green peas, salt to taste, and roughly mash it with the ladle.
- Garnish with chopped coriander leaves and turn off the flame. And your stuffing is ready
HOW TO MAKE BAKED SAMOSA:
- Lightly knead the dough again and cut small portions from the dough and make balls
- Roll the balls into thin roti and cut it into a square. Apply on the edges.
- Place around 2- 3 tbsp stuffing in the center. With the help of a knife make alternate cuts on the upper portion of the square
- Gently cover the other portion with the upper portion and shape into a triangle
- Press all the sides with your finger. Brush prepared samosas with little oil
- Place the samosas on a greased baking tray and bake them at 180 degrees for 10 to 15 minutes or till they turn golden brown and crisp
- Serve hot samosas with ketchup or green chutney
HOW TO MAKE FRIED SAMOSAS:
- After 30 minutes, knead the dough again for 3-4 minutes and divide into balls
- Roll each ball into an oval-shaped slightly thick roti
- Cut it in the center and make two parts
- The roti shrinks back due to the nature of all-purpose flour. So roll it again gently.
- Apply water over the straight edge. Join the edges to make a cone shape.
- Stick the edges well. Stick the edge from inside the cone as well to secure.
- Fill the cone with the stuffing and press down with your finger and apply water on the edges.
- On one of the sides make a pleat and pull the pleat to stick it on the other side.
- Make sure the samosa is sealed well. Pinch and press down on the edges very well to seal them.
- Finish making all your samosas. Heat a pan with oil for deep frying samosas.
- Deep fry samosas on low medium heat till they turn golden brown and crisp.
- Once they are done, remove and put them on a tissue paper
- Serve hot with ketchup or green chutney.