Lacha Matari / Khasta namakpare
1.5 cups maida/ all-purpose flour
1 tsp salt
1 tsp ajwain/carom seeds
1 tsp crushed pepper
2 tbsp oil
Water as required to knead the dough
Oil for deep frying
- Firstly take maida in a broad bowl, add salt, ajwain, and 2 tbsp oil
- Mix well and rub it with your fingers.
- Add a few tbsp of water at a time and make a tight dough, cover the dough and rest it for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Heat oil in a pan. Divide the dough into portions and make balls.
- In a bowl mix 3 tsp cornflour with oil and make a thick paste. If you don't have corn flour you can use maida.
- Heat oil in a pan. Roll each ball into a thin roti, smear it with a tsp of the prepared cornflour and oil paste, fold it into a square. Please check the above video for the process.
- Roll the folded roti again into a rectangle chapati and cut into half-inch strips
- Deep fry the lacha mataris in hot oil on a medium flame, till they turn crisp and golden brown.
- Transfer the fried mataris on an absorbent paper.
- Store in an airtight container once they come to room temperature.
- Enjoy with hot tea or coffee.