2 cups button mushrooms quartered
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp turmeric powder
For the Balchao masala:
8 nos Byadgi or Kashmiri dry red chillies
3 garlic cloves
1/2 inch ginger piece
1/2 tsp peppercorns
1 tsp cumin seeds/ jeera
1/2 tsp mustard
1/4 tsp fenugreek seeds/ methi
Small piece of cinnamon
2 cloves/ lavang
Chickpea size tamarind
1 tbsp vinegar
Rest of the ingredients:
4 tsp oil
2 finely chopped onions
2 finely chopped garlic
1/2 inch ginger finely chopped
Few curry leaves
Pinch of sugar/ jaggery
1/4 tsp hing/ asafoetida
Salt to taste
Chopped coriander leaves
- Clean and wash mushrooms. Marinate with salt and turmeric powder, rest it for 20 minutes
- Dry roast pepper, cumin seeds, mustard, fenugreek seeds, cloves and cinnamon
- Grind the roasted spices with red chillies, ginger, garlic, tamarind and vinegar.Make a smooth paste.
- Heat oil in a pan, add chopped ginger, garlic and curry leaves. Fry till garlic turns golden brown.
- Add chopped onions, and saute till it turns transparent
- Add the masala paste as required, roast well for 5 minutes
- Put the marinated mushrooms and 1/4 cup water. Add salt, sugar, hing .
- Cook with a lid covered until the mushrooms are done.
- Garnish with chopped coriander leaves. Serve hot with hot rice.
- You can substitute mushrooms with chicken or prawns.