KHOTTO IS NOTHING BUT IDLY BATTER STEAMEDON MINI BASKET OR CUPS MADE OUT OF JACKFRUIT LEAVES. THIS IS VERY POPULAR AND REGULAR WEEKEND BREAKFAST IN ALMOST ALL MANGALOREAN KONKANI HOMES. USUALLY IT IS PREPARED WITH RICE AND URAD DAL.BUT THIS IS PREPARED WITH RAVA AND DAL.THIS IS PREPARED PARTICULARLY DURING UPVAS DAYS.yOU CAN ALSO PREPARE IDLI WITH THE SAME BATTER.
1 cup urad dal
1 cup semolina/ fine rava
Salt to taste
- Soak dal in water aor 5- 6 hrs,wash and grind in grinder adding little water for 30 - 40 mins
- Put rava n a muslin cloth and tie the ends
- Steam it in the steamer for 15 mins and then let it cool Add it to the ground dal ,mix well and keep overnight for fermentation
- Next day add salt to taste and steam in the leaf baskets or idli moulds for 20 mins
- Serve hot with chutney or sambar
- In little oil roast 2 green chillies and chana dal size hing
- Grind it with 1/2 cup grated coconut,salt to taste and little tamarind
- Make fine paste,add water an.d adjust the consistency
- Add the tempering ,mustrd,hing and curry leaves.