Jolada Rotti Thali (Jawar roti thali)
Jolada rotti is an unleavened Indian bread made out of jowar.It is coarser than a roti,It can be either soft or hard in texture compared to a khakra or cracker with respect to hardness. Making jolada rotti needs lot of practice. Here I have store bought rotis with home made side dishes.
TOMATO THOKKU RECIPE:
8 fully riped tomatoes
Gooseberry size tamarind
2 tsp salt
4 dry red chillies
FOR THE MASALA POWDER:
2 tsp mustard
1 tsp fenugreek seeds/ methi
2 tsp cumin seeds / jeera
FOR THE TEMPERING:
1/4 cup gingelly oil or any refined oil
1 tsp mustard
4 dry red chillies
1.5 tsp red chilli powder
1 tsp hing / asafoetida powder
2 tblsp jaggery
- Wash tomatoes and chop roughly.Add in the salt dry red chillies , very little water and cook it for 5-10 mins
- Let it cool, once it comes to room temperature grind it with tamarind into a little coarse paste, keep aside.
- Dry roast mustard,methi seeds and cumin seeds , separately till each ingredient is slightly brown and fragrant.
- Remove from heat and let it cool. Grind the roasted spices into a fine powder and keep aside.
- Heat oil in a pan, add in the mustard seeds,red chilli bits,when the oil is hot.Once the mustard crackles add hing.
- Add in the red chilli powder,let it fry for few seconds.
- Now add the ground tomato ,chilli paste,jaggery, let it boil for 15- 2o mins on a high flame
- Keep stirring the mixture to avoid scorching at the bottom.
- Once the oil leaves the sides of the pan and the mixture becomes thick add in the roasted , ground spice powder. Saute for 5 mins and turn off the flame
- And your thokku is ready. Store it in a clean glass jar once it comes to room temperature.
- You can store it in the refrigerator for upto a month.
- Always use clean and dry spoon to scoop out the thokku.
- Enjoy with dosa, idli, paratha, roti or chapati.
YENNEGAYI / STUFFED BRINJAL RECIPE :
4 small brinjals
5 tsp + 2 tsp oil
1 tsp jeera / cumin seeds
1 finely chopped onions
1 sprig of curry leaves
FOR THE STUFFING:
1 finely chopped onion
1/4 cup chopped coriander leaves
4 tblsp roasted peanut (powdered)
3 tblsp roasted sesame seeds(powdered)
1 tsp sambar powder
1 tsp misal masala powder
1/2 tsp kanda lahsoon masala
1/2 tsp red chilli powder
1/2 tsp turmeric powder
Salt to taste
1 tsp tamarind pulp
Jaggery to taste (optional)
Mix all the above ingredients and keep aside.
- Wash brinjals, cut the ends and make + cut on the stem side
- Put 2 tsp oil in a pan and fry the brinjals adding little salt , till it is half cooked
- Transfer the roasted brinjals on a plalte, stuffthem with the prepared stuffing,
- Heat oil in a thick bottomed kadai,add jeera,curry leaves and chopped onions, fry till they turn transparent.
- Put the stuffed brinjals,remaining masala, and 1/2 cup water. Cook with a lid covered,
- Once the brinjals are cooked garnish with chopped coriander leaves and serve with roti.