Andhra Tomato Chaaru / Rasam
3 fully riped tomatoes
1/3 cup coriander stems with or without leaves
6-8 garlic cloves
1 inch ginger piece
1 sprig of curry leaves
2 tsp cumin seeds/ jeera
1/4 tsp pepper
Salt to taste
1.5 cups water
Chopped coriander leaves for garnishing
1 tblsp oil
1 tsp mustard
1/2 tsp urad dal
1/2 tsp asafoetida / hing powder
2 broken dry red chillies
1/2 tsp haldi / turmeric powder
- Roughly chop tomatoes and boil with half cup water, let it cool and blend it
- Make a coarse paste of coriander leaves,garlic,ginger,curry leaves , cumin seeds and pepper. Keep it aside.
- In a heavy bottomed pan put oil, add mustard , let them crackle.
- Add urad dal and fry till they turn golden brown.
- Put red chilli bits and hing, stir for a second and add coarsely ground mixture
- Saute for a second on a low flame, taking care the mixture doesnt burn
- Once you get the nice aroma, add turmeric powder, and give a mix.
- Now it is the time to add tomato puree. Add puree , season with salt and add 1.5 cups water
- Mix well and boil it on a medium flame for 5-10 mins.
- Turn off the flame ,garnish with chopped coriander leaves .
- Serve hot with hot steamed rice and papad.