Roasted Makhana / Fox nuts
Roasted Phool Makhana / lotus seeds / Fox nuts is an easy, tasty and healthy snack. They are crisp and crunchy like popcorn , but are much healtheir option than popcorn.
They are low in sodium content and high in potassium and Magnesium , making them useful for people with high blood pressure. The high calcium content makes them great for bone and teeth health. The astringent properties in fox nuts helps to reduce kidney problems.
2 cups phool makhana/ lotus seeds/ fox nuts
3 tsp ghee
1/2 tsp turmeric/ haldi powder
1/2 tsp pepper powder
1 tsp chaat masala powder
1/2 tsp red chilli powder( or as per your taste)
2-3 tsp table salt
2 tblsp nuts like almonds and cashews (optional)
- Put 2 tsp ghee in a pan add nuts and roast till they turn crisp
- Now add the makhana and roast for a good 10- 12 mins on a low flame, stirring continuously till they turn crisp and crunchy.
- Remove the makhana and put in a bowl. Add the remaining ghee in the pan , put all the spice powders, salt and immediately add the roasted makhana in the pan
- Take care not to burn the spice powders. Mix makhana well so that all the ingredients are combined well.
- Once it combined well, switch off the gas .
- Once they are cool down store them in an airtight jar and enjoy with your hot cup of tea or coffee!!