Aval Kesari / Avalakki kesaribhaat
1 cup thick poha/ avalakki/ beaten rice
3/4 cup sugar
6 tblsp ghee
1 tsp cardamom powder
1/4 tsp saffron colour
- Dry roast poha/ avalakki over a low medium flame for 5 minutes and let it cool completely.
- Grind the roasted poha into a coarse powder like rava consistency
- Heat 2 tblsp of ghee in a pan and add cashews , fry until it turns golden brown
- Add raisins and roast till golden brown. Remove from the pan and set aside.
- In the same ghee add the powdered poha and roast for 2-3 mins
- Pour 2 cups of boiling water to the roasted poha and mix well without any lumps
- Add the remaining ghee and stir well
- Keep stirring and cook until the mixture is thick and the poha is cooked completely/
- Add sugar,saffron colour,cardamom powder and mix well.
- Keep stirring and cook for about 5-8 mins or till you get the halva consistency
- Add the roasted nuts, raisins and serve hot.