Horse gram Idli / Kulitha idli
Horsegram is called Kulithu in konkani and huruli kaalu in Kannada..This is a very good dish for breakfast and it is healthy too...You can make thick dosa also which is called Doddak in konkani...Please try this ....
1 cup urad dal
1 cup horsegram/ kulithu/huruli kaalu
2 cups idli rava
Salt to taste
chopped ginger and green chillies to taste(optional)
- Soak urad dal and horsegram separately in water for 5-6 hrs
- Grind urad dal in grinder into a fine batter
- Grind horse gram into semi coarse batter
- Wash idli rava and mix with dal and horsegram batter
- Mix well and keep for 2-3 hrs for fermentation
- No need to keep the batter overnight
- Add salt,chopped ginger,green chillies and mix well
- Steam in greased idli moulds for 15 to 20 mins
- Serve hot with chutney and enjoy !!!
- You can also prepare this with leftover idli batter
- Soak 3/4 cup horsegram ,grind into fine batter andadd this to the 2 cups leftover idli batter and make idli or dodak!!