In kannada Nuchchu means broken and as this dish is mostly prepared using broken rice it is called Nuchchi...this is a typical Konkani dish ,prepared for breakfast or dinner..This is a very bland but very tasty dish ,prepared with aromatic rice called jeera rice...
1 cup jeera rice or broken basmati rice
4 tsp coconut oil or ghee
2 tsp urad dal
1 tsp mustard
5-6 methi seeds
1 slit green chilli
2 sprigs of curry leaves
1/2 cup fresh grated coconut
Salt to taste
2 1/2 cups water
- Wash the rice and drain all the water
- Heat oil in a cooker ,add the mstard,when it starts crackling put curry leaves,chilli,urad dal,methi seeds and fry till it becomes light brown in colour
- Add rice,salt and water,close the lid of cookerand take 3-4 whistles
- Once the steam of cooker is released ,open the lid ,add grated coconut and mix well
- Serve hot with coffee or tea !!!