Kokum/ Garcinia Indica in English is a wonderful tropical fruit that is supposed to be a natural cooler full of vitamin C ...This is used widely in Soth indian cuisine...The dried skin of this fruit is used as a sour agentin sea food and non veg preparations..I got this recipe from my FB friend Kudpi Raj Maam !!
Thanku so much maam for sharing the recipe :)
Fresh kokum fruits 5-6 ( around 250 gms)
1 tsp Sea salt or 3/4 tsp table salt
50 gms jaggery (or according to your taste)
2-3 green chillies chopped
A pinch of hing/ asafoetida(1/4 tsp pdr)
2 tsp coconut oil
! ltr water
Chopped coriander leaves
- Break the kokum fruit into halves,remove the core,squeeze out the pulp and discard the seeds
- Chop the peel and grind with little water into a smooth paste
- Powder the jaggery or grind with little water and salt
- Mix kokum peel pulp,jaggery and salt in water
- Check for sweetness and strain through strainer
- Heat coconut oil,add chopped green chillies,hing ,fry until the chillies turn into golden brown
- Pour the seasoning over the soup and mix well
- Garnish with chopped coriander leaves and serve chilled!!!
Note:If you dont get fresh fruit ,you can use ready made syrup too !!