SANNA IDLI IS A KONKANI DELICACY. THIS IS A MIXTURE OF RICE ,LENTILS,COCONUT AND RED CHILLIES AND ADDED CHOPPED CABBAGE AND ONIONS...YOU CAN PREPARE IT WITHOUT VEGGIES TOO..tO MAKE IT SOFT WE USE LOTS OF COCONUT..SO TO MAKE IT LITTLE HEALTHY TODAY I TRIED THIS IDLI WITH VERY LESS COCONUT AND SUBSTITUTED IT WITH LAAYI / PUFFED RICE PADDY..AND IT WAS AWESOME ..YOU CAN ALSO STEAM THIS BATTER IN JACKFRUIT LEAVES CUPS WHICH IS CALLED KHOTTO !!
1/2 cup dosa rice
1/4 cup toor dal
1/4 cup chopped cabbage
1 big onion chopped
2tblsp grated coconut
1/2 cup laayi/ puffed rice paddy
4-5 red chillies
Salt to taste
- Soak rice and dal in water for 1 hr and wash it
- Wash the laayi and keep
- Grind coconut,red chillies,laayi,tamarind,salt into a fine paste
- Then add soaked rice and dal (drain all the water)
- Grind into a semi coarse batter , adding little water(batter consistency should be little thicker than rava idli batter)
- Add chopped cabbage and onion to the batter
- Steam it in idli moulds for 15- 20 mins
- Serve hot drizzled with coconut oil with rice and dal!!
- If you dont have laayi then use 3/4 cup grated coconut !!