Saal is brined jackfrui and Ambo is brined raw mango in Konkani. this is a typical GSB style monsoon delicacy.
2 segments of brined jackfruit
1 small brined green mango cut into cubes
1 cup fresh grated coconut
6 dried red chillies roasted in 1/2 tsp oil
FOR THE TEMPERING:
10 crushed garlic cloves
5 tsp oil
- Wash and soak both the brined jackfruit (saal) and green mango in fresh water for 3 hrs or over night, to take off the excess salt
- Cut the jackfruit and mango into big pieces and cook in the cooker with 1/2 cup water for 1 whistle
- Grind the coconut with roasted red chillies into a smooth paste and keep aside
- Tranfer the boiled saal and ambo in a vessel,add masala ,water and adjust the consistencyof the gravy
- Check the salt ,add salt only if it is needed
- Boil the curry well for 5 - 10 mins, turn off the flame
- Ina pan heat oil, add the crushed garlic and fry until dark brown in colour
- Put the tempering to the prepared gravy and enjoy the curry with hot rice.