Avarekalu Masala Undi / Hyacinth beans steamed rice dumplings
Undi / Pundi is a trditional breakfast recipe from the South Kanara cuisine, prepared with idli rava. This is one of the healthy delicacies from Dakshin Kannada region, made specifically for the morning breakfast. Typically this is served with coconut chutney. Today for a change I have added some spices and boiled hyacinth beans in this, and it was very tasty .
1 cup idli rava
3/4 cup fresh coconut gratings
4 tsp oil
1/4 cup boiled avarekaalu/ hyacinth beans
1/4 cup finely chopped carrot
1 finely chopped small onion
1 tsp mustard
2 finely chopped green chillies
1 sprig of curry leaves
1 tsp urad dal
3-4 methi/ fenugreek seeds
Salt to taste
Chopped coriander leaves
- Heat oil in a pan, add mustard, curry leaves. methi seeds. Once the mustard crackles add urad dal and fry till it turns golden brown.
- Add chopped green chillies and chopped onions
- Saute till the onion turns light brown. Add chopped carrot and cook with a lid covered.
- Once it is cooked add, boiled beans, chopped coriander leaves, idli rava and roast on a low flame for 5 mins
- Add coconut gratings, salt and give a mix.
- Now add 3 cups boiling water, stir continuously making sure there are no lumps forming.
- Cook till the mixture thickens. Turn off the flame and let the mixture cool .
- Once it is slightly cool, wet your hands and make small balls.
- Make a small depression in the center by pressing gently with your finger.
- Heat the steamer and place all the undi/ rice balls in it. Make sure to grease the plate of the steamer to prevent from sticking.
- Cover and steam for 15-20 mins. turn off the flame.
- Serve hot undis with coconut chutney and coffee.