Salla Upkari/ Brined raw jackfruit stir fry
Mitta gallele saala or Brined jackfruit is a traditional method to preserve the raw jackfruit for the monsoon season. The jackfruit segments obtained just before ripening is preserved in saltwater.Be careful while adding salt to the dishes using brined items as it has lots of salt in it. You can prepare spicy dosa, curry, and other dishes from this.
2 cups brined jackfruit segments / saala
4 tsp oil
1 tsp mustard
2 tsp red chilli powder or according to your taste
- Soak the jackfruit segments in enough water for 4-5 hrs
- Wash 2-3 times and cut into thin fingers
- Heat oil, add mustard. When it starts crackling add red chilli powder
- Add the jackfruit pieces,1/4 cup water and cook with a lid covered
- Add salt only if needed, once it is cooked turn off the flame
- Serve hot with rice and rasam or dal.