Bitter gourd is called KAARATE and hog plums are called AMBADO in Konkani. This pickle or gojju is a Konkani delicacy, which is spicy, tangy sweet, all in one bite. Bittergourd and hog plums are a very great combo because they compliment each other's taste . This is an instant recipe.
1 kaarate / bittergourd / karela / hagalkaayi
2 ambade / hog plums /amate kaayi
2 tblsp white or black til / sesame seeds
4 tblsp dessicated coconut or coconut gratings
3 tsp rasam powder
Salt and jaggery as per taste
FOR THE TEMPERING:
3 tsp oil
1 tsp mustard
2 sprigs of curry leaves
- Wash karela, scrape little the outer skin and cut the ends.
- Cut it into semi thick roundels , descard the seeds if any.
- Apply 2 tsp salt , mix well and keep aside for 30 mins
- Wash the hog plums and crush it
- Dry roast sesame seeds and powder it
- After half an hour wash the karela roundels,squeeze out all the water from it and cook with crushed hog plums and 1/2 cup water in cooker for 2 whistles
- Put the boiled karelas and hog plums in a vessel, add salt, jaggery and cook for 5 mins
- Add the powdered sesame seeds, coconut gratings , rasam powder,and let it boil
- Add water if needed and adjust the consistency according to your taste
- Boil it for 10 mins and turn off the flame
- Add the tempering and your pickle is ready to use
- You can store this in the refrigerator for a week
- Enjoy with hot rice and dal.
- You can substitute bittergourd with raw mango or pineapple .