Avarekaalu rotti is a special and traditional breakfast recipe of Karnataka prepared with rice flour and other spices. You can prepare varieties of akki rotti and the one which is very unique is AVAREKAALU ROTTI or Hyacinth beans flat bread. Avarekaalu is available in plenty during winter and variety of dishes are prepared with this.
1 cup rice flour
1/2 cup avarekaalu / hyacinth beans
2 finely chopped green chillies
1/2 cup finely chopped spring onion greens
1 finely chopped onion
3 tblsp chopped coriander leaves
2 tsp jeera / cumin seeds
Salt to taste
Oil for cooking rotti
- Separate the seeds from hyacinth beans / avarekaayi , de-skin it or use as it is. If you want to de-skin then soak it in water for 3-4 hrs, hold each soaked bean between you fingers and gently press to remove the skin
- Cook the beans with little water and salt in the cooker for 2 whistles
- Take one broad vessel, put rice flour, boiled beans, chopped onion, spring onion greens, coriander leaves,jeera,salt , green chillies
- Add water and make a soft dough, it must be moist and sticky.
- Take dosa pan , grease it with oil
- Place a ball of rotti dough in the center of the pan wet your fingers and start to spread it lightly with your fingers to make a round roti. .
- Put 2 tsp oil over the roti and cook on a medium flame till it turns light brown and crisp.
- You can alsp make these rottis on a greased banana leaf, foil, pachament paper or moist piece of cloth.
- Serve hot with coconut chutney.