This is a basic Indian onion tomato masala paste with some spices. This masala paste freezes well and can be used in number of recipes making it a must for busy days !
2 big onions + 2 onions for tempering
8 garlic cloves
10 cashew nuts
2 inches ginger piece
6 tsp oil
1 tsp turmeric powder
3 tsp red chilli powder
2 tsp garam masala powder
1 tsp jeera/ cumin powder
2 tblsp kasuri methi
- Roughly chop 2 onions, tomatoes and ginger
- Put chopped onions,tomatoes,ginger, garlic cloves,cashews in a pan, add 1/2 cup water and cook for 10 mins or till tomatoes are cooked
- You can also cook in cooker for 2 whistles
- Let it cool, once it comes to room temperature blend it into a smooth paste.
- Finely chop the remaining two onions
- Heat oil in a pan add the finely chopped onions and fry till they turn transparent
- Add the ground paste and fry for 10 mins
- Now add in the spice powders one by one and fry for 2-3 mins
- Add kasuri methi , stir well and turn off the flame
- Once it comes to room temperature store it in a clead dry jar and preserve it in freezer.