Karkal Kaarate Nonche / Bittergourd sweet pickle
Bittergourd / Karela /Hagalkayi / Kaarate nonche is a spicy,tangy,mildly sweet and little bitter Indian pickle made with bittergourds and some aromatic Indian spices.I have also added yam,raw mango and raw jackfruit pieces .You can also add tender bamboo shoots.
1 small yam / sooran
1 medium size raw mango/ kairi
3 big bittergourds / kaarate / karela
1 cup raw jackfruit cut into cubes
Salt to taste
Jaggery to taste
For the masala paste :
2-3 tsp oil
20 byadgi red chillies
4 tblsp daniya / coriander seeds
3 tsp mustard seeds
1 tsp methi / fenugreek seeds
1 tsp turmeric powder
2 tsp chana dal
Small chickpea size hing/ asafoetida
Roast all these in oil on a medium flame ,take care not t burn the spices. Keep the roasted spices aside and let it cool.
Once it becomes cool grind it into a smooth paste adding little water and keep aside.
For the tempering:
2 tblsp oil
2 -3 tsp mustard
2 sprigs of curry leaves
- Wash and scrape the bittergourds,cut lengthwise into two and make semi thick slices
- Add 3 tsp salt and keep aside for half an hour
- After half an hour squeeze bittergourd pieces to remove the bitterness
- Cut sooran and raw mango into cubes
- Cook all the veggiea in cooker with half cup water for 2 whistles
- Put the cookes veggies in a pan, add salt,jaggery and cook well
- Add the ground masala paste and give a good boil
- Turn off the flame and add the tempering with the ingredients mentioned
- Serve hot with steamed rice and dal
- You can store this in the fridge for 10 to 15 days.