When you make potato chips , you should make sure that the skin of the potato has a nice even brown tone without a greenish cast.Skins that are starting to flake away from potato are fine.You have to inspect the potatoes thoroughly to ensure that no more significant bruises,discolored spots or sprouts on potatoes.
2 medium sized potatoes
Salt to taste
Red chilli powder to taste
Pinch of hing / Asafoetida (optional)
Oil for frying
- Wash the potatoes and peel them
- Put the potatoes in water with some ice cubes in it , for 15 mins
- After 15 mins discard the water and put the potatoes on a cloth and wipe it with the cloth
- Take slicer and thinly slice the potato across the width.
- Spread the sliced potatoes on a cloth
- Once the oil is hot reduce the flame to medium low and drop a batch of potato slices
- Continuously keep tossing up the chips in the oil until they turn slightly golden and crisp
- Remove the chips from the oil and drain off the excess oil
- Before adding the next batch wait for a minute and make sure that the oil is back hot again
- Put the fried chips on a tissue paper
- Put salt , red chilli powder and hing in a bowl and mix
- Sprinkle the powder on fried potato chips according to your taste and toss well.
- Store the chips in an airtight container once it comes to room temperature.
- Enjoy the crispy wafers with hot cup of chai or tea.