Caramel Bhapa Doi
Bhapa Doi is a traditional Bengali sweet prepared with milk and curd. Bhapa means steamed or baked Doi means curd / yoghurt.This tastes delicious when served chilled.
1/2 cup milk
1/3 cup+ 2 tblsp sugar
1/2 cup fresh thick curd or hung curd
1 tsp corn flour
1/2 tsp elaichi/ cardamom powder
- In a pan put 2 tblsp sugar and heat it until it caramelises.Do not stir,only swirl the pan around.
- Once the sugar melts and turns brown in colour, add 3 -4 tsp of milk , mix well
- Add the remaining milk,sugar and let it boil for 10 mins, turn off the flame
- Mix corn flour with the curds, whisk it till it becomes smooth
- Once the milk,sugar mixture comes to room temperature mix it with curd and corn flour mixture. Mix till both the mixtures are combined well. Add cardamom powder and mix.
- Put the mixture in any container, cover the container with aluminium foil and steam it in a steamer for 10 mins
- Turn off the flame and let it cool. Refrigerate it and serve chilled.