Dum Aloo Biryani
1 cup basmati rice
1/2 inch cinnamon. dalchini
1 bay leaf
2 green cardamom/ elaichi
10 baby potatoes parboiled
5 tsp oil/ ghee
1 tsp jeera/ cumin seeds
1/2 cup curds
1 tsp turmeric powder
1 tsp biryani masala powder
1 tsp red chilli powder
2 tsp ginger garlic paste
1 slit green chilli
Salt to taste
1/2 tsp kasuri methi
1/2 cup chopped coriander leaves
1/4 cup chopped mint leaves
2 big onions finely sliced and fried dark brown (shallow fry or deep fry)
4 saffron strands soaked in 2 tblsp cup milk (or saffron colour)
- Rinse basmati rice 2-3 times, soak for 20 mins. After 20 mins drain all the water and keep aside
- In a broad vessel bring to boil 4-5 cups of water, with 2 tsp salt.cloves,cardamom,bay leaf and cinnamon.
- Once the water boils add rice and give a mix, let it boil. Once the rice is cooked 75% drain it in a collander and keep aside.
- Peel the boiled potatoes and cut into half. Take a heavy bottomed pan,heat oil / ghee, add jeera.
- Saute for e second, add potatoes,little salt and sute for 10 mins or till it becomes light brown in colour.
- Now add curds, ginger garlic past, green chilliturmeric powder, biryani masala powder, red chilli powder,kasuri methi and give a nice stir.
- Give one boil, check for salt, make the flame low.
- Layer half of the cooked rice on that aloo gravy. Add half of fried onions,chopped coriander leaves and mint leaves
- Again layer remaining half of the cooked rice,and then fried onions,coriander and mint leaves.
- Put saffron milk and one tsp ghee,close the lid of the pan tightly
- Cook it on a low flame for 10-15 mins. You can also keep it on a preheated tava or griddle.
- And your biryani is ready to eat.Serve hot with raita of your choice or any gravy.