Malwani style Prawn Sukka
500 gms prawns deveined and cleaned
6 tsp oil
3 finely chopped onions
2 sprigs of curry leaves
1 tsp jeera/ cumin seeds
1 bay leaf
2 slit green chillies
2 finely chopped tomatoes
Salt to taste
Marinate prawns with :
1/2 lemon juice
1/2 tsp turmeric powder
Salt to tatse
1/2 cup chopped coriander leaves
Marinate with the above ingredients and refrigerate for 30 mins.
For the masala powder:
2 tsp jeera/ cumin seeds
2 tblsp coriander / daniya seeds
1/2 inch cinnamon/ dalchini
1 green cardamom/ elaichi
6-8 dry red chillies
1/2 cup coconut gratings fresh or dry
Dry roast jeera,daniya,cinnamon,elaichi and red chillies on a medium flame till they turn aromatic, remove on a plate
Roast coconut gratings till they turn brown
Let it cool, grind it into a fine powder and keep aside.
- Heat oil in a pan , add jeera, bay leaf, curry leaves and fry for a second.
- Add chopped onions and saute till they turn translucent.
- Add chopped tomatoes, green chillies and cook till they turn mushy.
- Now add in the marinated prawns and cook. Once they are half done, add the masala powder as per your taste and spiciness and cook further, addind 1/4 cup water.
- Once the prawns are fully cooked turn off the flame and garnish with chopped coriander leaves and serve hot with rice of your choice.
- You can substitute prawns with mushrooms or chicken.