Avial is a dish from Kerala , a mixture of fresh vegetables in a slightly sour and creamy yoghurt, coconut and cumin based dish, seasoned with coconut oil and curry leaves. Tastes awesome with hot , steamed rice and rasam.
1/2 cup french beans
1/2 cup carrots
1/2 cup ashgourd
1/2 cup yellow pumpkin
1/2 cup raw banana
1/2 cup sooran / yam
1/2 cup snakegourd
Salt to taste
3 tsp coconut oil
2 sprigs of curry leaves
3/4 cup fresh curds
FOR THE MASALA PASTE YOU NEED:
1 cup fresh coconut gratings
2 green chillies
2 tsp cumin seeds/ jeera
1/2 tsp turmeric/ haldi powder
Grind the above ingredients into a coarse paste adding very little water and keep aside.
- Wash all the veggies,cut drumsticks into finger size pieces
- Cut the remaining veggies into one inch fingers, steam the veggies or cook in cooker for only one whistle (don't overcook)
- Cook yellow pumpkin outside only as it cooks fast.
- Put the steamed veggies in a pan,add salt and ground masala paste, give a good mix and cook for 5 mins
- Now add the curds , stir and simmer the avial ,cook for 2-3 mins and turn off the flame
- Now its the time to add coconut oil and curry leaves.
- Add it and mix well, cover and let the flavours infuse for 5 mins.
- Enjoy with hot steaamed rice and dal or rasam.