Spring Onion Baanale Rotti
Akki means rice in Kannada and Rotti refers to flat bread cooked on a flat tava or griddle.
Akki rotti or rice flour rotti is a popular breakfast dish from Karnataka Cuisine, served with chutney for breakfast or lunch.
Usually they are prepared on a flat tava. But here , this Baanale rotti is prepared directly in a deep kadai. Here Baanale means Deep Kadai in Kannada .
1 cup rice flour
2 finely chopped green chillies
3/4 cup finely chopped spring onion greens
1 finely chopped onion
3 tblsp chopped coriander leaves
2 tsp jeera / cumin seeds
Salt to taste
Oil for cooking rotti
- Take one broad vessel, put rice flour, chopped onion, spring onion greens, coriander leaves,jeera,salt , green chillies
- Add water and make a soft dough, it must be moist and sticky.
- Take one deep kadayi / baanale , grease it with oil
- Place a ball of rotti dough in the center of the pan wet your fingers and start to spread it lightly with your fingers to make a round roti. .
- Put 2 tsp oil over the roti and cook on a medium flame till it turns light brown and crisp.
- You can also make these rottis on a greased banana leaf, foil, pachament paper or moist piece of clothand cook on a flat tava.
- Serve hot with coconut chutney.