Lemon Green Chilli Pickle
300 gms green chillies/ hari mirch (long variety)
7 lemons/ nimbu
2 inch piece ginger
1 cup gingely oil
1/4 cup methi/ fenugreek seeds
1/4 cup white split mustard/rai ki dal / rai na kuria
Half of 1/4 cup mustard seeds
2 tblsp salt
2 tblsp red chilli flakes / Kooti lal mirch (optional)
Chickpea size hing / asafoetida
1 tsp turmeric powder/ haldi
- Rinse and wipe green chillies,lemons and ginger. There should be no trace of moisture in them. Dry it completely.
- Remove the crown and cut the green chillies into half inch pieces. Cut ginger into small pieces.
- Cut 3 lemons into small pieces. Squeeze ththe remaining four lemons and collect the juice
- Cut the squeezed lemons and use in the pickle
- Dry roast methi,mustard separately and male a coarse powder
- In a clean dry bowl put cut lemons, lemon juice,green chillies,ginger pieces,split mustard,salt,red chilli flakes, mix well and keep
- Heat 3/4 of oil in a pan add methi and mustard powder
- Add hing and turmeric powder and mix
- Now add the cut lemons,lemon juice, chopped green chillies and spice mixture and give a good mix.
- Immediately turn off the flame and let it cool completely
- Once it is cooled completely store in a clean,airtight jar and keep
- After three days,check for the salt. Heat the remaining 1/4 cup oil and cool completely
- Mix the pickle once and pour the 1/4 cup oil over the pickle and close the lid
- Enjoy the pickle with dal rice, dal khichdi, curd rice or stuffed parathas.