Ragi Idli with Sambar
1 cup ragi / Nachni / Finger millet
1 cup idli rice / parboiled rice
1/2 cup whole urad dal
1/4 tsp methi/ fenugreek seeds
1 tsp salt
Oil for greasing idli mould
- Soak rice and ragi in a bowl and urad dal and methi in another bowl for 4-5 hrs
- Wash well and grind both separately in the grinder. First grind urad dal adding little water. Make a nice , smooth batter.
- Take the batter in a mixing bowl. Wash rice ,ragi, drain water and add it to the grinder
- Add water little by little and grind into a smooth batter
- Add the batter in the mixing bowl and mix both dal and rice,ragi batters well
- Add salt and mix , keep it aside over night for fermentation.
- Next day we can see the batter has nicely fermented and doubled its quantity
- The batter is absolutely fluffy. Give a good stir.
- Heat the idli steamer. Grease the idli moulds.
- Pour 3/4 laddle of idli batter in each mould and steam cook in the steamer for 10 mins
- Turn off the flame ,once the steam is released, gently take out the idli stand
- And hot idlis are ready to serve
- Serve idlis with chutney, sambar or molga podi and oil.