Sanjeera / Stuffed sweet poori
Sanjeera is a crispy, sweet poori stuffed with coconut,rava and sugar mixture. This is very popular in Mangaluru, South Kanara District.
For the outer cover:
1.5 cups maida/ all purpose flour
2 tblps chiroti rava/fine semolina
3 tsp ghee or oil
Pinch of salt
1/2 tsp saffron colour or turmeric powder
Oil for deep frying
For the stuffing you need:
1.5 cups finely grated fresh coconut
5 tblsp sugar
3 tblsp Bombay rava/ upma rava
1/2 tsp ghee
2 tblsp finely chopped cashewnuts
1 tsp elaichi / cardamom powder
- Take one bowl,put maida,salt,chiroti rava oil and saffron colour mix well. Add little water and knead into a stiff dough. Apply little oil to the dough and cover it. Let it rest for 15- 20 mins.
- In a pan put 1/2 tsp ghee, roast cashewnuts chopped,Bombay rava and coconut gratings for 2-3 mins.
- Add sugar and immediately turn off the flame. Add cardamom powder and mix it.
- Devide the dough into small lemon size balls. Roll it into a poori, place around two tblsp of stuffing in the center and cover it with the dough carefully.
- Roll it lightly into a thick poori
- Heat oil, deep fry sanjeera on a medium flame till they turn crisp and golden colour.
- Transfer it on a tissue paper. Once they comes to room temperature store in an air tight container.
- You can store this for 3-4 days.