Ladi Pav /Pao /Eggless dinner rolls
3 cups all purpose flour/ maida
3/4 cup warm milk
2 tblsp sugar
1 tsp salt
1/2 tblsp dry yeast
2 tblsp butter
2 tsp white til/ sesame seeds (optional)
FIRST STEP: ACTIVATE THE YEAST
- Add 1/2 tblsp yeast and 2 tblsp sugar to 3/4 cup of warm milk or water. Cover and leave it in a warm place for 10 mins.
- After 10 mins it will become frothy and bubbly. If the yeast is not frothy it means it is not activated , discard it and start over again
SECOND STEP : TO PREPARE THE DOUGH
- Measure the flour using measuring cup (3 cups) sift in a large mixing bowl, add salt and mix well
- After 5 mins open the covered yeast and milk mixture, You can see the bubbles over the activated yeast mixture.
- Add maida to the yeast mixture and mix the contents with your hands
- Dust your work surface , transfer the sticky dough, add one tblsp butter and start kneading until you get a soft and pliable dough
- If it is dry add some more milk or water to the dough
- This will take approximately 10-12 mins, but the dough will definitely come together.
- You can use a bench scraper to scrape the dough off the work surface and keep folding to make it easier.
- Once the dough is done poke it with your finger , if it springs back it is ready for the next step
THIRD STEP:PROOF THE DOUGH (FIRST RISE)
- Tuck the edges of the dough towards the center to form a ball an transfer it to a big greased bowl
- Apply little oil over the dough, cover with a clean napkin and set aside in a warm place to proof or double in size.
- Leave it for one and half to two hours for proofing
FOURTH STEP: DEFLATE THE DOUGH AND KNEAD FOR FEW MORE MINUTES
- After two hours you can see the dough has risen, deflate it by punching down the dough and transfer it to the working surface
- Knead it again for another 5 mins
FIFTH STEP: SHAPING AND SECOND PROOFING (SECOND RISE)
- Cut the dough with a scraper or knife into a equal portions and shape them into rolls.
- Tuck the edges underneath towards the center, roll it between your palms to form a smooth round ball
- Place the balls in a greased baking tray . Leave little space between each.
- Cover it with a damp cloth and let it proof for the second time. It will take around one hour depending on the weather conditions.
SIXTH STEP: BAKING
- Preheat the oven to 180 degree celsius
- Brush the risen dough balls with milk . Sprinkle white sesame seeds on each ball.
- Bake it for 15-20 mins or until they are done and the top is golden brown.
- Remove the tray from the oven and brush the baked pav with the butter whilst still warm
- Cover and keep it for minimum 15- 20 mins
- After 20 mins enjoy these soft buns/ pav with butter or bhaji or any curries of your choice.
Yu can use wheat flour / atta in place of maida
To store these rolls place them in an airtight container or ziplock bag. They stay good for 2-3 days.